Wednesday, January 10, 2007

WTF, 1/1/07-1/8/07?

So, I hope anybody who created a Facebook group about Michigan getting robbed, Florida being shitty, or Ohio State winning the Tostitos National Championship Game by 30 feels appropriately douche-y right now. I also, sincerely, hope that the dumbasses in question have figured out why it was a good thing the top bowl matchups turned out the way they did.

As I blogged something like two months ago, the bowl schedule that matched up three Big Ten teams vs. three SEC teams, plus the Pac-10 champ vs. strong Big Ten runner-up, was one of the best possible schedules for football fans. By now it should be obvious that a National Championship Game rematch would have been a travesty - what would it have proved, if the BCS had allowed Michigan and OSU to fight over Who Could Suck Less In January in a ridiculous slapfest?

It's already hard enough to say what exactly has been proven by all of this, except that Florida currently excels at the game of Winning College Sports. I think it's fairly reasonable to say that Bowl Football, even more than Big Dance Basketball, but in a similar way, is a different sport than regular season football. And this year, with Urban Fucking Meyer in charge, Florida was damn good at Bowl Football. But other than that, what are we to bring away from this? Probably nothing. The SEC brought home a trophy or two, but are they as strong up and down as they were supposed to be all year? The bowl losses to Penn State and overrated Wisconsin say no, but does that even mean anything? And so on.

The whole thing is frustrating for me, firstly because my team is the most consistent flameout at the Bowl Football game, and nextly because I know CFB's 2006 First Season (pre-December) very well, and I know that the 2006 Second Season (Bowl Football) had little to do with it, except for when they were setting up the matchups.

Don't get me wrong, the name of the game is to succeed in the regular season and then show up to play in your bowl game, so Florida wins. I'm just shocked, and a little disappointed, at the difference a month and a half can make.

1 Comments:

Blogger john (east lansing, mi) said...

You exaggerate my protestations; I may have been disappointed personally with the BCS standings, but I certainly accepted them even before they came down.

Also, note my emphasis on Florida's success at playing the postseason game well. I still believe, although some may scoff, that Florida would not have accomplished the same feat against OSU in November. The credit I give is for playing (Just Barely) well enough in the regular season to merit a shot at the championship, and then playing well in the postseason. They're two different things. Anybody who thought Florida was playing well enough to beat OSU in November just wasn't watching.

You can say the same thing about the Capital One and Outback Bowls and then the whole bowl season is useless as a comparison tool; whatever.

As far as Carroll owning Carr, I find it very difficult to blame 7 first-half sacks on the coach. If an entire offensive line has gotten fat and sassy based on the firm conviction that they hardly have to show up to win a game, how could the coach change that? I'm sure Lloyd Carr let his players know every day that they were going to play a real game, but I'm also sure those players watched SportsCenter and/or live game footage back in November and December, and I bet they were pretty sure USC sucked, which they did during the regular season.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home