Monday, November 20, 2006

Knights Lose!

Just a short, snarky post to crow about another Big East result that I could have predicted. Rutgers took a beating in Cincinnati this weekend - not really the mark of a National Championship contender.

Rutgers is alright; they have done a good job of playing consistently all year, and they even got up bigtime for a very important Louisville game. They deserve a good bowl game, their coach probably deserves CotY, and the program deserves some good recruiting classes and some good non-conference games.

But these Big East teams are not top-tier yet. I hate the Big XII and Pac-10 for building up bad teams by providing bad conference opposition year in and year out, but the Big East is in a class of its own this year. The class of the Big East has mostly beaten up on the bottom of the Big East, but I just can't convince myself that any of the top Big East teams could hang with the Top 3 of any other conference (even the aforementioned conferences, in which I don't really believe).

I called Louisville over West Virginia because I knew West Virginia ran over teams that didn't play defense; I called Rutgers over Louisville for very similar reasons; I called West Virginia over Rutgers even before the Cincinnati game because I don't think Rutgers is that good, and I don't think they could put together another game as solid as the game against Louisville, especially not on the road.

Everything that rings true about the Big East teams rings double- or triple-true about Boise State. Don't pretend that failing to lose all season makes a team worthy of playing for the National Championship. My high school's football team used to go undefeated all season. Can they get millions of dollars and get crushed by Ohio State in Arizona in January?

No?

Then leave the Big East and Boise State out of this discussion.

1 Comments:

Blogger john (east lansing, mi) said...

And by "short," I clearly didn't mean anything like that.

But I have to get ready for work now.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home